I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

A BOTANICAL BREAK ...

I just had to get these clematis buds out of my system, and I wanted to paint something simple, austere. At this stage, I used mixes of aureolin and cobalt blue for the cooler greens, and quin. gold and phthalo green for the warmer ones, and floated them in to get a smooth look.

I continued with those greens, as well as some steaks of brown madder for the bud tips. The tiny bits of flower showing were done with a mix of cobalt blue and quin. pink.

The stems were painted with quin. gold and phthalo green, with quin. burnt orange and green glazed over later for the darks.

Created more depth with more applications of the same or darker colors.

Et voila - c'est fini!
Clematis Buds
28.5 x 40.5 cm. framable
$265.00 US
unframed


I was inspired to paint this after watching James Fox's documentary on the art of Japan.

Thank you so much for dropping by!!!

10 comments:

  1. Very nice. Thank you for the tip on the J.Fox documentary

    ReplyDelete
  2. So delicate and beautiful! Nothing better than a botanical break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Katherine - just fabulous...the best of the best. Isn't it amazing the simple can become such a lovely work of art. Take care and have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. simple subject but beautifully done :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! Mum loves these!!
    Lots of licks, your new friend Morrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Katheryn,
    It has been much too long since I have visited.. I have missed the beautiful work of your talented hands.. I really love this.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look who just visited you!!! us!!!
    such tender leaves!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete