I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Varnishing Watercolor Paintings





For the sake of being able to offer finished paintings, immediately ready to hang, and to try to avoid the cost of framing, I decided to try varnishing a few watercolor paintings.  These are some of the paintings I decided to varnish. I have propped them up so you can get an idea of the frame.   It is a one and a half inch cradled frame, which I have sanded and stained with Minwax Polyshades, using a light oak or a black stain, depending on the painting. I think the staining and spray- varnishing procedures were the messiest.

Here I have my varnishing supplies all set out.

First I went to the art supply store, and got some help selecting products.  I bought some inexpensive cradled frames, some acrylic gesso, a jar of gel medium, and a can of glossy archival varnish.
I sanded the frames, and dusted off the sawdust. Then I applied a relatively thin coat of the gesso to the surface on which the painting was to be glued, to protect the watercolor paper from the wood. That dried fairly quickly. The next step was to glue the paintings onto the frames. For that I used the gel medium, slathered on rather thickly, careful to get it on everywhere smoothly. Then the painting went on, and was smoothed onto the gel "glue" with a roller.  [I used a rolling pin, with a sheet of wax paper on top of the painting for protection.] I flipped it over. painting on protective paper, and put some heavy books on top for weight. The paintings then stayed that way overnight.
The next day, I trimmed the excess paper around the frame, sanded lightly, and started to spray-varnish. I did about three thinner coats, then one thick coat at the end. I let it dry a day, then stained the wood. I did two coats, sanding lightly with fine steel wool in between. I got a bit slap-happy doing this, and got a bit of wood stain on the painting. I sanded the spot, and varnished again.
It's quite a procedure the first time, but I'm sure the next time will be much easier ... and neater!


As always, your comments are most welcome!

18 comments:

  1. These are very cool. I love the paintings and the idea of varnishing. I do think though this is a lot of work and the stain getting onto the painting would trouble me some. Have you tried wax? I have had success with Dorland's Wax Medium and use it frequently. I first glue the painting to gator board using gel medium. Weight it down and coat the painting once dried, with wax. Several coats will do. it can then be framed without glass. I have to try the varnish yet. Thanks for visiting my blog! It is always a pleasure to see you drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Will you do this for all your paintings from now on?
    I'm thinking of the dust from sanding, the smell from varnishing - but's that's my asthmatic self thinking..
    I can see why a buyer would love a painting finished like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I had no idea that watercolours could be varnished! That's new to me! They look amazing in their frames like that. Just beautiful :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing this Kathryn. I have been wondering about it. Could you varnish the sides first before mounting your painting? Less worry about splashes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of work! ha ha I'm sure it will become second nature to you if you continue and I like the look of the finished product a lot! Probably more time intensive but less cost intensive than taking it to a framer :) I have just learned that you should iron your paintings flat before taking them to the framers because they won't press out the little ridges that can show on the finished piece. I don't like those wobbly bits on the sides you see in watercolor paintings and a friend said she irons her paintings flat - even 300# paper - cloth on the ironing board, painting flat down on the cloth, another cloth of top (after you spray the back of the painting), then iron it. I may be impatient, though, because I did one that way (only 1/4 sheet) and it's still wrinkled - so pressing it under a large weight between newsprint and plexiglass and will see if that does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, Kathryn. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I admit - I had to come back and see that peppermint pig one more time! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look beautiful - a clean contemporary presentation. Hope they sell like hotcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao Kathryn, davvero molto simpatici quei porcellini,ciao gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I hope your collectors appreciate all this time and effort! I know that purchasers like their art ready to be hung and I think your pieces look great. The cradled frames provide a crisp, contemporary look and truly compliment your work. Kudos to you, Kathryn, for doing all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this very much, the best way to present a watercolor. It seems like quite a work but worth it .

    ReplyDelete
  12. katharyn you've done a great job ! ... you must be pleased with the results ... i've read about varnishing watercolours .. i'm curious to know how the watercolours will look with time if it is glued and varnished.... interesting reading rhondas reply i've had to iron a few watercolours

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Quite a job, but well worth it. The art looks wonderful. This is the first I've ever heard of a 'cradle frame.' I will explore the next time out supply shopping. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with everyone else, Kathryn...it really looks worth the while.! I love all of these paintings..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kyatharyn,
    I have to order mounts,and rap them by plastic sheet.
    Framing is costly as we know.but I never try to vanish watercolour paintings. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your work....they look fabulous mounted like this. How do you varnish them without reactivating the watercolor ,,,,I once thought to use spray varnish for pastels,,,,did not work,,the colors ran.....ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Someone wanted to know what varnish I use - it's Kamar , made by Krylon.

    ReplyDelete