Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Some New Happenings ...

For the background, I floated in some WN cerulean blue, and stroked in a line of a dark blue-black under the snail.

Heading out to feed Bruno his breakfast, I noticed a snail on the patio. The light on the picnic table was so subtle, I put the snail up there and took some photos. After his modeling session, I put the snail out on the grass. 

I have painted thin washes of quin. burnt orange and indanthrone blue - VERY thin.

Here I've started with her eye, and placed the tan spots on her face.

A tentative start on the face ...

I was in a quandary as to how to paint the texture of her ears - all those kinks and curls - without painting each strand of hair. 

I think this looks quite realistic without being too fussy. I put pigment down with a round brush, in S-shaped strokes, and then go over them with a damp, flat brush.

On July 1, I joined an artists' cooperative gallery in Vancouver. There are eight other artists, and the gallery itself has a very good "feel" to it when you walk in. It is in a very funky, artsy area of Vancouver. I hope to gain some exposure and commissions, but if nothing else, I will definitely get more experience in the business side of the artist's life.

Thank you for dropping by, and your comments are always welcome!