I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Thursday, September 6, 2018

A letter to the premier and relevant minister of British Columbia

No paintings today, though I am working on several. Instead, I am posting a letter that I sent to several members of the government of British Columbia. It is my hope that others in the my area and the province, if reading this, are inspired to write, to voice their feelings. And perhaps others around the world will be  inspired as well. I believe our world, our home, is in a sad way, and we all must do something to rectify the problems. Here is the letter ...


I am writing to express my very deep concern about how the destruction of agricultural and greenspace land has been allowed to take place over the past twenty years, all done in the professed attempt to create affordable housing. It is happening without care and thought to ecological sustainability. The availability of affordable and attractive housing has not appreciably increased, and available agricultural land has decreased alarmingly.

Living in South Langley, I am saddened and angered to see the proliferation of unattractive tracts of housing developments of inadequate environmental quality. Housing developments should be an integral part of a healthy community, but what is being built all over Langley bears little or no connection to the existing communities. Furthermore, these concentrated areas of tract housing are being constructed at the expense of viable and valuable farmland which, once lost, is gone forever.

The time of unplanned and mindless use of resources should - must - be a thing of the past. I find it unthinkable that your government is so myopic as to continue to allow short-term financial gain for a few to prevail over long-term concern and responsibility for the sustainability of agriculture and environment.

To summarize, it is my feeling that you are obtusely mismanaging a beautiful and rich land. I hope you have the vision and wisdom to correct this deleterious situation.


Please feel free to paraphrase or copy the letter. And thank you so much for dropping by!!

4 comments:

  1. A very good letter and I hope those in power take notice. The same thing can be said here in Australia, especially South Australia, where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good (the letter), bad (the situation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you. We in India have already reached a point from where things appear irreversible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried twice to leave a comment and it didn’t work - not sure what I did, or blogger did. But just wanted to say Good on you for doing this!! We all need to care and let our caring show in any way possible.

    ReplyDelete