Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Busy and Productive Morning ...

I have place a thin wash of the boot color as a ground.

Here,  I have started the laces with a thin blue-grey color.

I think it is SO close to finished. I am tempted to intensify the colors on the boots, but I have a feeling that if I do that, I will upset the balance of the whole painting. My apologies - I can't get the colors exactly as I see them in real life.

This is a small 6 x 6 inch cradled frame. I have applied several thin coats  of gesso, and let them dry. This is part of my quest to find an attractive, and more reasonably- priced alternative to framing.

I have here mounted the swallow painting on the frame with gel acrylic medium, and am in the process of varnishing it with an archival, gloss, spray varnish. So far, so good! I think I will also get some wood stain to touch up the sides of the frame. 

This is one of the two paintings I have on the board to go. It's a re-do of one I did a few years ago of a deer skull mounted on the side of a friend's shed.

This is the reference photo of the other painting I am starting. I am going to try flooding all the painting except the whites and lights in the middle. It should be interesting to see what it does to the leaf colors. I tried a color swatch of some old paper, and it looks OK.
This might be it for painting today - I have a date with the Big Guy!

As always, your comments are most welcome!