Friday, March 21, 2014

Amaryllis, a Class Project ... and ... Another Process

I masked the pistils and stamens, and then painted [wet in wet] the large shadowed areas of the petals. I used cobalt blue, aureolin and quin. pink for the grays -  one a neutral gray, the other more blue.

I then did some w/w applications of green, using aureolin and phthalo green.

I  lightly stroked and dabbed some quin. coral on the damp petals.

The simple background was a gradated application of cobalt blue and phthalo blue.

Amaryllis   9 x 12 inches
I darkened some of the existing green with phthalo green and quin. violet, and added some detail at the flower's center with alizarin crimson and green. Then I removed the mask, and touched up the pistil and stamens. I think it's a nice, clean, simple painting, and I hope it is not too difficult for a class. 

A few months ago, I was out dog-walking. I thought all of us should take a peek into a local art center. There, we were met by the manager, who thankfully loved dogs.
We had a lovely chat, the upshot of which entailed my submitting a proposal to teach a series of watercolor classes. The course will be called something like "Creating Luminous Florals in Watercolor". Hopefully, there will be enough people interested in the course to have full classes.

Thank you so much for dropping by! And your comments are most welcome!