Saturday, September 28, 2013

Here It Is ... Rose #3 - WIP

This is the 2nd or 3rd wet-in-wet wash. I didn't mask, and wish I had done so. The colors for the background are permanent rose, aureolin, quin. burnt orange and pththalo blue.

 ... and more washes ...

I've started the rose, using aureolin, perm. rose, and later some quin. siena.

I am continuing to increase depth in the rose, adding shadows and more intense color here and there.
After masking a few spots, the leaves are glazed with aureolin and  dried. Now I am glazing the local colors and shadows. The pigments for the leaves are quin. gold, quin. burnt orange and phthalo blue. I am finding the blue to give  richer and more varied shades of green. The stem is primarily alizarin crimson, with some of the lighter green mixture, and some burnt orange.
Fabriano paper and I do not get along well. I tried twice with this same image, and when I got to the point of darkening the background, no matter how I painted it, it came out streaky. So I have happily returned to the Arches.
I couldn't post for a while, as I had no camera. I had been using my sister's, but she wanted it back, so she could take photos of her new dog.  I am happy to report that she got another Boxer, after having lost her two earlier this year. And she got a rescue. Her name is Ellie, and she is SOOO sweet - love just oozes out of every pore, and her eyes melt your heart.
I can't believe it. The last time I posted it was still summer. Now it's wet and cold. Long pants, rain gear, Bruno in his winter blanket, the cat won't go outside - yup, it's winter!

Thank you so much for dropping by, and your comments are always welcome!