Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Paintings on the Go ... Three Works in Progress

This started out as a class demo last Saturday. I was showing different ways of applying pigment. I dotted the branch with clean water, and then dotted in some color - quin. gold, quin. burnt orange and cobalt blue. I liked the look, so I worked on it at home ...

The leaves and stems all got a wash of aureolin. Then I used quin. colors for the leaves and softer, non-staining colors for the stems.

Here it is - thinking it will look good as an 8 x 8 in. varnished work.
The markings on the petals is a quin. pink, and the grey for the shadows is a lavender made of quin. pink, cobalt blue and aureolin.

reference photo
I was heading to the park to walk the Maggot, and these apple blossoms at my neighbor's house caught my eye. The light was early evening - just perfect.

This was another one started in last week's class. Almost unrecognizable ... OK, it IS unrecognizable!  It is a Venice scene, very faint at the top, darkening to some gorgeous warm greens and browns at the bottom.

Did a fair bit on this one before I got my camera back from repair.

I am here now, trying to get those shadows in the yellows dark enough. I think yellow is the most difficult color in which to create credible darks! I think I may have to use the oranges.

That's it in my part of the painting world for now.
Thank you so much for dropping in!!

Done Dog

This is the recently completed 2nd version of Drake. I had debated whether to just leave it with the 1st version. But I am glad I re-did the painting.  I tried some effective techniques for creating the impression of soft, fluffy hair, so it was a great learning experience.

This is version #1.

Thank you so much for dropping by!!