I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Monday, November 17, 2014

"CATAWAMPUS" ... Another Process, This Time a Poured Watercolor

I must have used a quarter of a large bottle of masking fluid.

I poured, using permanent rose, aureolin and indanthrone in very dilute applications.

I masked some more, and did another  application of the same colors. I missed photographing the next step. There I went from pink to alizarin crimson to get darker shadows.


CATAWAMPUS
32.5 x 19.5 cm.
This is the painting now, in need of some careful glazing here and there, but basically done.
I love that word "catawampus" - it means kitty-cornered or at an angle. As my purpose and focus with this painting was the backlighting on the cat creating that angled shadow, I thought the name perfect.

Pumpkin obliged for the reference photo.

Thank you so much for dropping by - hope you enjoyed your visit!

15 comments:

  1. We love reading about the techniques. The painting is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- that is pure magic..
    ( mommy says her hair is kittywaspused ) tee hee hee.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting is awesome. And you have such a good model too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Pumpkin' what a nice name for the cat! This is such a neat and clean work. Love the way the color transforms from the objects to the shadows. Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fantastic and yes, don't do any more - it is fresh and lovely and you wouldn't want to over work it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Katrhyn, excellent painting. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this watercolor, Kathryn! Beautifully finished...the dark shadows is wonderful and love the light on this cat....Excellent work my friend!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kathryn - awesome...love this painting...such a great rendition from the photo as well. As for that word it is one I use from time to time too. Thank you for posting this lovely work. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the result , the blend of colors is amazing ...pure perfection !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous, Kathryn! Simple shapes, but what a dramatic result! And a great title, I never heard that word before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kathryn! I love this painting.. .Beautiful work.
    Thank you for coming by... I am doing well, thank you
    I would love to try the pouring technique, but I cannot handle the odor of the masking fluid.. Any ideas?
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quelle lumière!
    Ça me rappelle les aquarelles de Roland Roycraft.
    C'est merveilleux Kathryn, Félicitations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the name and love the lighting! Love the colors and love the composition! I guess I love this one! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathryn, your ability to capture the light is amazing. Your paintings are always so bright and light filled. That greatly appeals. thanks for stopping by my blog and for your your always appreciated comments. So nice to be on here again and catching up. Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete