I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Friday, March 21, 2014

Amaryllis, a Class Project ... and ... Another Process

I masked the pistils and stamens, and then painted [wet in wet] the large shadowed areas of the petals. I used cobalt blue, aureolin and quin. pink for the grays -  one a neutral gray, the other more blue.

I then did some w/w applications of green, using aureolin and phthalo green.

I  lightly stroked and dabbed some quin. coral on the damp petals.

The simple background was a gradated application of cobalt blue and phthalo blue.


Amaryllis   9 x 12 inches
I darkened some of the existing green with phthalo green and quin. violet, and added some detail at the flower's center with alizarin crimson and green. Then I removed the mask, and touched up the pistil and stamens. I think it's a nice, clean, simple painting, and I hope it is not too difficult for a class. 



A few months ago, I was out dog-walking. I thought all of us should take a peek into a local art center. There, we were met by the manager, who thankfully loved dogs.
We had a lovely chat, the upshot of which entailed my submitting a proposal to teach a series of watercolor classes. The course will be called something like "Creating Luminous Florals in Watercolor". Hopefully, there will be enough people interested in the course to have full classes.

Thank you so much for dropping by! And your comments are most welcome!

9 comments:

  1. It is so nice when people love animals! I absolutely love the way you showed the progress on this. I love the soft colours and feel of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good Kathryn! Doesn't look too complicated. Just a suggestion . . . You don't really have to mask the pistils and stamen if they are darker than the underlying wash. And they would show up better if darker too. (Just my 2 cents.). I hope you get a full class. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great flower painting Kathryn, and I love how you executed the background: fresh and smooth, without masking the flower.
    Have a great day!
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  4. With your explanations, students will not be in distress. I think it will be an smooth entry in the wet in wet technique. Congrats for this class projetc and the last sell .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's wonderful news! How exciting... I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to demonstrate 0) Lovely flower btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be a wonderful demo, Kathryn! I wish I was there to see it! It always amazes me when someone works with watercolor...your flower is beautiful...perfect light!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think congratulations are in order! You are certainly expert at painting florals (and other stuff as well) and I think you will make a great instructor! Way to go, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely painting with good, clear instructions as a lesson.. Congratulations on your accepted workshop proposal!

    ReplyDelete