I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Friday, March 22, 2013

Struttin' to the Home Stretch - Swedish Flower Hen

I have masked the perimeter of the hen, and done three graded washes - two of aureolin and one of pink. 
I have done a graded wash of quin. burnt orange which wubbled a bit on the lower left because I didn't get to it quickly enough with the hair dryer. 

I've done another graded wash of the orange, let it dry, then covered the hen and done a splatter with a brown mixture.

I am now in the final FUSS stage. The shapes of the masked out areas are not great, but that's the nature of masking fluid. In the past, I have even tried using a sewing needle, but that doesn't work for me - too easy to scratch the paper.
To finish, I'll continue directly adding thin washes of a dark brown mix to add depth and shadows. And then I'll set her off to strut!

As always, your comments are most welcome.

10 comments:

  1. Love that strut!!!! It's coming along beautifully, Kathryn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks very determined as hens do! It´s turning out so good looking. I know it´s not easy to put spots of maskingfluid. But have you thought of splattering masking fluid with a toothbrush? I tried that on a flowerpainting lately, and it was looking good I think.
    Looking forward to see your final result with the hen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strutting her stuff. The technicalities are still a little beyond me, Kathryn, but I'm getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous hen! She's a real beauty and well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geweldig wat een mooie kip goed gedaan lieve groetjes Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT ! ... love the min B/W white hen they must look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hens are beautiful Kathryn! I really love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathryn,
    really powerful colour. I like it.

    ReplyDelete