I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cackleberry-maker

I started this with a w/w wash of quin. gold, let it dry, and then did another variegated wash with quin. burnt orange and quin. violet. 

The shadows of the comb and wattles I did in a violet and orange mixture.

Then went over all with cadmium red.

I added all the details, and here she is.
I had never heard the word "cackleberry" till a few years ago, and it still makes me laugh!
The painting is nether framed nor mounted.
The framable size is 7.5 x 4.5 inches.
$75.00

This is the other hen I have started - still a WIP. I found I needed something bright to work on, to alternate with all the darks of the cocker spaniel.

As always, thank you for dropping by. Your comments are most welcome!

12 comments:

  1. Lovely chickens, Kathryn! They look like fun to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really gorgeous chickens Kathryn! My favorite is the bottom one - she reminds me of our frankie :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the icon on my sidebar, I had to stop and think, "Cackleberry?" "What is...oh, yeah!! I know that word!" ha ha Two great paintings here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the title and esp the paintings.. wonderful chickens!!! love,Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDERFUL chickens, Kathryn!!! Love the last one..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful chickens! 'Cackleberry'... what a great word! I can hear the chickens in it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful, Kathryn.Quin Gold is my favorite,too.Makes the painting sing, doesn't it?Your hen looks very well groomed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another pair of fabulous birds! In my mind, I can see an exhibit with all your wonderful birds hung in a row! That would be grand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They really have lots of life, nice work. I hope Bruno is feeling better and his allergy is clearing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Chicky- you are so beautiful!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kathryn:) Your ladies are beautiful as they always are! I can imagine you needed some color after the cocker spaniel. I love to see how you strart and build up a painting. Thanks for sharing!xx

    ReplyDelete