I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Works-in-Progress - Sunflowers, and Bruno's Dental Appointment ... a Very Mixed Bag!

First gradated washes on this painting - aureolin and quin. burnt orange ...

... followed by many more gradated washes of quin. burnt orange mixed with phthalo green [blue shade]. For some reason [a different paper, an unusual paint mixture?] I had some trouble getting the really smooth washes I like. I finally resorted to spraying the paper with water, not applying water with brush, and then applying the pigment very gently.

This is an earlier stage of the painting. You can see some of the streakiness here, as well as the faint imprint of  a leatherjacket bug. NO BUGS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PAINTING!!! I gently coaxed it off, and took it outside. My work area is a small alcove in my bedroom, and as I almost always have the window open at this time of year, the bugs are everywhere in the painting area. 


This is the other sunflower painting. I am at this point right now - working on the flower, and soon, the leaves.
The background is primarily a mixture of quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone. The flower is aureolin, with shadows of quin. sienna and cobalt blue.

Here we are waiting for the vet. Looks like he just arrived, judging from Bruno's ears cocked back to listen.

My vet used much less tranquillizer this time. I was really impressed with Bruno's behaviour. You can see in this and the photo below, his eyes are completely calm. If anything, he is concerned only that I get his good side in the photo!!!

It looks a bit like bondage or something, but the halters and braces holding his head steady are comfortable, almost loose. And of course, the metal bracket in Bruno's mouth keeps his jaws apart, and the soft tissues of the oral cavity out of harm's way, so the vet can readily access the molars at the back. Just some odd info - horses have six molars in each quadrant of the mouth; we humans have two in each quadrant [or three, if you have wisdom teeth]. 

I took these next few shots today, after I rode the lad.
He is quietly enjoying some hay, while the "garden gnomes" and I are out in the field area watering the vegetable garden, and doing a few other chores.

Here's Scruffy, with her partially-done home hair-cut. I work on her bit by bit, as she is not a patient girl.

And here's Maggie, looking for excitement. She is turning out to be such a bright and loving dog.

So that's life for now, on our little rented piece of Heaven.
Thank you for dropping by!

7 comments:

  1. Really looks like a piece of heaven! I am glad no bugs were harmed, painting these sunflowers! :) I have a dental appointment tomorrow... brrrrrrrr. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to see you,,,,, oh gosh--- Bruno's dentist,,,, not good for sensitive minds! But glad Bruno did okay
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Kathryn - what a gorgeous piece of heaven indeed. The sunflower paintings are just going to be awesome. They are such a favorite flower of mine and this time of the year I am sketching and drawing them before they bow their heads and cast their seeds. Bruno does look calm although I had to laugh when I saw the vet's hand in his mouth (just odd to see it). Hope he didn't have a cavity - don't you be giving him too many sugar cubes (LOL). Scruffy doesn't look scruffy at all and good to see Maggie is enjoying her wonderful home. Thank you friend for sharing - I so enjoyed seeing your farm and four legged friends. Take care and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. POOR BRUNO!!! Well, he does seem okay with it...LOL....you are SO good Kathryn and you take such care with this handsome fella! and your sunflowers are a winner already! I can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a typical day in your life! A morning spent creating your besutiful watercolours, an afternoon spent caring for your beloved Bruno. It looks ideal to me. Tito bad there are also days on the job and doing mundane household tasks to shake up your tranquility. Relish the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've certainly been busy while I've been away! Poor Bruno - It looks brutal! Hope he is recovering well :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is the first time in my life to see such thing.Clever Bruno!!!

    ReplyDelete