I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Quick Peek at My Planning Process ... or .. A Short Course in Frustration

This was round #1 with the portrait. I was not happy with how his head and neck looked against his body, so decided to start again.

But meanwhile, I thought I'd play with the blacks to see how the logo would show up.

This is #2. I used quin. gold as one of the colors in the initial washes ... 

... but when I got further along, I didn't like the color it gave.
ONWARD! 

I did some fluffing around with colors this morning - just quin. burnt orange and some cobalt blue. I think it will look better.

This is the reference photo I was given ...

... and the original sketch.

And now for something completely different! This is one of the photos I took the other evening. I was fascinated by the turkeys, so of course I must paint them. They remind me of the alien in the movie of the same name.

I thought to do a larger painting [16 x 20 inches], but common sense prevailed, and I have started with an 8 x 10 inch soon-to-be-painted sketch.

Playing around with colors, and trying to capture the look of feathers. I do not want to render each individual one!

And I am mulling over how to paint these cuties.  

Now off to ride Bruno. It was cooler yesterday, as it is today. And His Highness was very full of himself. Riding him was like trying to drive a runaway tank. My bum and thighs can feel the workout they had!

Thank you so much for dropping by!

12 comments:

  1. Oh yay!! Your having fun,, and were having fun watching you!
    Its cooler her too,,,,!!
    We love to watch you play!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming along SO beautifully Kathryn. The color is perfect.....a great reference picture! I see the turkey as being so challenging but I know you'll do it !!!! I look forward to seeing your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painstaking process, but you do perservere. Looks like time well spent. The logo was too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness you have so much patience! If a painting goes wrong I MAY have one more go... but usually once is enough before I move on. I bore so easily, that's my trouble! I admire your persistence and it always seems to pay off! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The process of the dog painting is interesting to follow! And the turkey in close up really looks very alien. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the turkey sketch looks great :D and lots of work figuring what will work for the dog

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to watch your process as you go through the steps, what works, what doesn't - everyone thinks art is easy! ha ha Love the turkeys and can' wait to see more color on them - who could resist those colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see you have been busy painting and riding Bruno - I have been gone a while and it feels good to be catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello :)What a wonderful dog Kathryn. I have 13 years had such a dog. Last year, I unfortunately have to him put to sleep. Super handsome like you painting him. This is also a dog of yours?The Turkey will be fun to paint. I'm curious, but I'm sure you will succeed. A big hug for Maggie and Bruno and get well with your buttocks and muscles:):):) Take care ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always enjoy seeing your masterpieces come to life in progress snaps! Beautiful work as always my gunk!

    and thank you for you gunkness! very much appreciated. hope you and bruno are enjoying the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Kathryn - you are so generous in sharing your ups and downs. Makes me who is such an amateur feel a bit better that I encounter so many challenges and start overs. In light of your beautiful art and your tremendous skill it is encouraging to know that if one plugs along and continues to hone their artistic abilities success will find one. Hope you are enjoying this month of August. Give Bruno a big hug from me. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came back to check on you!!!!!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete