I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Taking a So-So Painting to Completion and Playing in Watercolor Class

My nemesis - the dreaded magnolia

First attempt

Further on with the background - it was at this point I realized it wouldn't work.

Second attempt - I just flipped the paper over, and re-traced the image.  I masked first, then started applying quin. pink, quin. burnt orange and indanthrone in a wet-in-wet manner.

Many wet ones later ...

Glazed stem and buds in pink, then started to paint with truer versions of their local color.  The stem was a mix of indanthrone, pink and orange.

The buds were done with lighter and a darker mixes of indanthrone and quin. gold. Quin. pink was used in the petal accents. And the shadows were a combination of pink, orange and indanthrone.
The paper was not very obliging as far as accepting color went; between soaking twice, using the "wrong" side and applying masking fluid, the surface was quite roughened up.

Last Saturday, the class asked to have some tree demos.  I like the opportunity to be able to paint faster and looser, but I'm not sure I could finish an decent, completed painting in this way. 

More of the class demo's - again I really like that tree on the left, but wonder if and how I could integrate it into a finished painting.

That's it for this week. I hope to get started on another seascape. I would like to give a painting to my sister's old boyfriend in thanks for finding me a very lovely car at an excellent price. [My Honda was written off in an accident last October.] Gary's dad worked on a seiner for years, and I know he would love a painting of the ship, which still heads out from Steveston to fish.

Thank you all very much for dropping by!

11 comments:

  1. What a great progress Kathryn! This lovely flower will look stunning when done! Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful, Kathryn! I love your choice of the background colors also.
    I have never been able to paint a magnolia..
    One of your paintings as a thank you to him would be wonderful, and very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great to see multiple works from you! beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magnolia ended up magnificent! I love your tree demos, the one on the left is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We think the magnolia painting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh! :D really like those colours for the magnolia :) the background is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why didn't you finish your first? I thought it looked very exiting with that background. But your second magnolia looks super. It's one of my favourite flowers. We had a magnolia tree in my last house. Such beautyful flowers. Too bad it is for such a short time thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kathryn - one would never know that the magnolia was a challenge for you. It is truly awesome. Love your trees too. Hope you will share your seascape as well. Have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnolia is such a beautiful and wonderfully scented flower, and yours is just as beautiful as the real thing. Never really trust you though ( LOL ) , so I wonder if it is finished ? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous flower Kathryn! The dark background is SO perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the master of flowers Kathryn! It's stunning! :0)

    ReplyDelete