I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Thursday, January 18, 2018

UNO'S COUSIN, PRIMO - a watercolour step by step process

Primo, in his natural colouring ...

Another of my neighbour's roosters. She had about 6 at one point. I like the pose in the 1st photo, but LOVE the colours of the second, so I combined the two ...

My drawing ...

First wet in wet washes. There are a lot of smaller areas of different colours. I am doing what I can w/w in the larger areas.  Here I am using alizarin crimson, quin. sienna, quin. burnt orange, phthalo blue and browns and blacks [quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone].

The next few steps are a matter of intensifying the colours, usually with more of the same, and sometimes with a complement added to darken.


Colours are established overall ...

A bit of chicken-scratch spatter on the ground ...

I am adding a soft background with permanent rose [any cool quin. pink will do],  quin. burnt orange and indanthrone. I am applying it quite thinly.


These last two photos are taken at the same stage, with different lighting. I find it difficult to get a true  assessment of the colour using just the computer editing. I have posted both images so you may get a better idea of the colours and values.







PRIMO
available for purchase
framable size 13 x 14.5 in./ 33.5 x 38 cm.
$375.00 Cdn

Thank you so much for dropping by!


11 comments:

  1. I thought Uno was brilliant, but Primo takes the prize. Great painting, Kathryn. Something to crow about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous painting! His colours are beautiful! Great to see the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does not seem possible that this beauty can be created!!
    Even the feet and scratch on the ground,,,, and the feathers!
    A beautiful masterpiece!
    You and your magic paintbrush work so perfectly together.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, another superb painting! Wonderful execution of the background giving it such depth. He even seems to be glowing, showing his aura, he is the BOSS. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty :D roosters can be so colourful but also very angry lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new Year, dear Kathryn,
    This painting is absolutely gorgeous! Such beautiful details and colors. Love the background also..
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracious Kathryn - he is simply gorgeous. I love that pose too - captures the personality of a strutting Rooster. Hope you are having a great week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I think I'm going to have to call him Hot Stuff!! Love the hot colors mixed with the cool blues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    หนังฟรี

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
    Thanks for sharing
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete