I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

TAKING A GANDER - step by step watercolour painting

 This is the drawing I prepared for my students - much cleaner and more precise than what I work with myself. I tend to be a very rough sketcher.

 First washes - all done wet in wet. Aureolin  and quin. burnt orange for the body, quin. sienna for the feet, and a dark brown [quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone] for the legs. The class and I will be doing more of the technique I used on their feet - having two concentrations of the colour I am using, one more dilute for the overall wash of colour, and a thicker one for more depth. It's important to keep the brush you use for the thicker paint rather dry, so you are adding mostly pigment, not more water to the area.

Building up more of the local colour. Their bills are quin. sienna with some thin indanthrone.

I add more of the dark [burnt orange, violet and indanthrone] to their bodies and legs, and some detailed markings with a thick mixture and fairly dry brush.

I hope you enjoyed the goslings. Thank you for dropping by!

6 comments:

  1. When did you sneak this one in, Kathryn? It got under my radar. what a fantastic piece! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwwwww - the goslings are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These baby geese are painted beautifully Kathryn. I love the way you painted the puddles in the front!!!
    LOVE !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like magic they begin to come to life!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet one! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute ... your student's must have enjoyed this

    ReplyDelete