I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Some Diversions While I Wrestle with the DREADED BRIDGE


I felt compelled to do this painting. It's of Pat Elliot's much-loved rescue terrier, Missy. Quite often, Pat will post a note about Missy's adventures, and this latest one had such an adorable photo of her. Pat gave me permission to paint her, and she is coming along beautifully. :) Thank you, Pat.

This one might be considered a bit grisly, but I feel driven to paint it. One of the baby barn swallows fell from the nest onto an old towel I had covering the hay under their nest. [They do poop a LOT.] I hope you can see it. I've just done a very light sort of drop-wash, to suggest the very fine downy feathers. I am going to call it "The Fragility of Life".

I took a photo of the bridge painting alongside a meter stick. It's a big painting. There was paint and water running everywhere yesterday when I blocked in the sky and water. And those are my toes, in my oh-so-grubby barn shoes. :)


I must end by saying a very big THANK YOU to all of you who have written such kind and supportive words. You help me so much to get over these artistic hurdles we all have.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Missy has the most beautiful eyes! I'm sure Pat will be thrilled! And so sad, that little bird :0( The bridge is much bigger than I had realised. Fantastic :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't look like there's any hurdles to jump today. These three paintings are coming along nicely. I like the dead bird painting. I know you'll do well by him/her. Dead birds are sad, but beautiful. I would have chosen to paint him too. I don't have a barn, but I do have shoes like that--a couple of pairs. Mine are paint splashed. I can't seem to train myself to wear my garden muck-lucks in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh Missy is adorable! And the swallow painting will be too! The bridge is a BIG painting, Kathryn! It seems more people had artistic hurdles, but you are over it, I see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, you've managed to sneak in three posts with Missy before I've had a chance to catch my breath! :)
    You have caught her eyes so well. Glad she's coming along easily for you :) I'm looking forward to seeing the swallow and the bridge completed too! xx

    ReplyDelete