I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Another Wet and Blustery Day in Lala Land

This is Bruno, two days ago, after an earlier ride, and then a blissful roll in the mud. I had spent an hour grooming him before I rode - he is shedding like mad right now. So I gave him a quick brush before I put his blankie on for the night. It's been very wet and blustery for 2 days now, so no riding. I'll have to push myself outside to take him for a walk.

This is one of my favorite paintings by Nil Catalano. We followed each other's work for some time. He was truly an inspiration to me, and I am sure, to many others. I received an email yesterday, telling me of his passing. He will be missed greatly.

I have done a bit more work on Spotty. Just now wondering about putting in a ground - maybe a dry-brush effect, dragged along under his hooves???

Had to share this photo of Tuffy doing his moose imitation. He would do it on cue - hang his head outside his stall, and bob it up and down sideways, with his tongue hanging out. YES, horses do have a sense of humor!!! :) 

I have started another dried hydrangea. The first one was OK, but I'd like to paint another, with more "oomph".

I also have another hen on the board to paint. This, too, I'd like to paint so she really stands out.

I will probably use this breed of chicken as reference for color. It's called a Swedish Flower chicken, because of the varied pattern of its feathers. It is also a "heritage" breed, and has been brought back from a state of almost-extinction. I think it's an extremely attractive bird. I wonder how Bruno would get along with a few chickens???

Other than that, I am happily reading Ken Follet's 2nd book in his "Century" trilogy. Also reading a book on climate change [scary and depressing], Neil Turok's book, "The Universe Within" - a not-too-technical book about scientific discovery over the past tree hundred years, and a fascinating book about uranium - sort of a political, social, economic and environmental history. Yes, my painting habit of working on several at the same time extends to my reading habits. Thank goodness, I have only one horse.

As always, your comments are most welcome! 

11 comments:

  1. Je heb heel hard gewerkt mooie dingen gemaakt lieve groetjes Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is always saddened over the passing of an artist. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    I love the warmth of your photographs, and enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me awhile to figure out Tuffy's "moose imitation"!! LOL
    and I love the start of your hen!!
    I'm sorry to hear of the death of Nil Catalano. This is a beautiful watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your magic paint brush has been so busy!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always keeping so busy, amazing you find the time to read a book !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you been feeding Tuffy a bucket of beer???
    Lol! he looks drunk!
    That chicken drawing is brilliant! I just LOVE it! Can't wait to see it progress...
    By the way, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. It's very sad :0(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the painting of that hen is going to be beautyful. It´s a beautyful kind of hen. And I would love to see more horse paintings too. I love horses!I ride every week here in Sölvesborg, Sweden.Horses are gorgeous and they have such different types of personality. It´s so fun to get to know such a big and beautyful animal. To find out how to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. His work is amazing.

    Do you fold paper bags in your spare time and perhaps leap tall buildings in a single bound! amazing energy and really great works in the works.

    and thank you so much for your incredibly generous comments on Chloe, they really touched me. you are too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you certainly are busy aren't you Kathryn?! I am loving all of your work here, especially the little filly. I think a dry brush would look perfect under her hooves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Losing a friend hurts!

    Always impressed by the patience you must have to work, work... until you feel that you have reached perfection ... Or, are you always frustrated, wishing to go further? That's waht I guess. When I'm thinking about artist work, I always wonder how you can judge that now it's finished. ... or a last little touch?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also learned the sad news. I am very saddened, Nil always had a kind word and his works breathe the joy of living. I will miss him too.

    ReplyDelete