I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Sunday, February 28, 2016

More Cheshire Cats ...

First was a w/w wash of quin. rose with quin. burnt orange. I let it dry, then did a wash of black.  The eyes were started with a very wet application of gold, with some burnt orange dropped in.

More black, and a thin wash of orange with a thicker mix of orange and quin. violet dropped in. Apparently she has very dark brown eyes - rare in cats.

Still more black, and a thin glaze of brown in the eyes.

You've got it ... still more black. I also added some of a red-orange inside the lids of her eyes.

I started with two separate w/w applications for this cat's coloration. The first was a mix of pink and orange. Then, when dry, an application of taupe[aureolin, pink and cobalt blue].  Her eyes were done with aureolin, orange and touches of cobalt blue. 

Intensified the colors with more of the same mixtures of colors.

Added some stripes using the dry-brush technique, and lined her eyes with black. I also did some subtle shading around her muzzle with pink, cobalt blue and orange.

A few touch-ups later, and I think she is done.

This is all I have to show this week. I started another painting twice, and liked neither.  I find I am more occupied with preparations for teaching - figuring out what particular aspect of drawing I would like to offer in class, and going through my photo library to find images for the watercolor class. But I still love teaching - I'm learning, students are learning and we are all enjoying the classes.

Thank you for dropping by!!

10 comments:

  1. We love seeing your beautiful paintings come together, Miss Kathryn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me...oww they look fabulous! Enjoy your classes, they must be very satisfying for you and yor students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing the steps , always something to learn . Really like the strong look in the eyes . xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're coming out so beautifully Kathryn... I hope you'll post the finished paintings...LOVE the eyes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Kathryn these kitties are really coming along beautifully. Glad you are enjoying the teaching component of your artistic endeavors. Please give Bruno a big hug for me. :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I am particularly amazed by the area around the bottom cats eyes! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these and seeing them come together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's raining cats at your farm, beautiful works! :)

    ReplyDelete