I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Yes, I'm a Proud Auntie ... or ... a Portrait in Progress

My nephew, my model. I half expect my niece and nephew to run when they see me coming with a camera.

Drawing

Glaze of quin. burnt orange in the darkest shadows ...

... followed by a neutral grey of aureolin, pink and cobalt blue. I also started the eyes and lips.

Began the hair with two grey-browns - one with aureolin, alizarin crimson and cobalt blue, the darker with orange, violet and indanthrone. My tray on the right has the colors ]cobalt blue and alizarin crimson]I used to build up the face colors.

Added the blue to the shadow areas in a thin glaze and softened with a damp brush. I did the same with crimson for his cheeks, nose, chin and forehead.


Started to look human at this point :)

Once I finished his eyes and brows, I thought the portrait looked quite good [though not exactly like Julian].

This morning, I did a very thin wet wash with quin. violet and a bit of orange to warm it up. So far, so good ... I hope to get the black on there later today.

It was such a pleasure to paint something just because I felt like it [not a commission, not something for a class demo]. Also, it gave me some ideas on how to go about painting the dog portrait. I enjoyed playing with this portrait more than I done in months!!

Thank you for dropping by!!

10 comments:

  1. Good work! Your nephew has a subtle smile better than the Mona Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interresting to follow. I'm looking forward also to relax with a painting chosen all by myself, and no comission. Only one more cat before the paus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, my family runs or roll their eyes when they see me with a camera but they always pose for me..lol. I love your nephews pose....excellent! I can't wait to see your next post!!! (Beautiful work)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be stunning! What a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great pose, can't wait to see how you finish the portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my friend I think this is so good. What a challenging subject and a handsome one if I might add. Your palette of colors seem to always be right on too. So glad to see this dear. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on a portrait as we speak - Not my subject choice... they are so difficult aren't they? Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know just how you feel! Commissions are always so harrowing - trying to please someone else rather than yourself adds a certain level of stress. Your nephew makes such an expressive subject - you will certainly do him justice!

    ReplyDelete