I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Portrait's Progress - the Young Lad in Watercolor

Since the last post, I added Jules' hoodie, done very loosely in a wet in wet wash of violet, orange and indanthrone. I didn't want it to attract too much attention, so used the violet colors of the background, and kept the values in the light to mid range. 


Several thin glazes were done to his face and neck with mixtures of aureolin, permanent rose and cobalt blue. The hat was thinly glazed with the background color, painted to give it a bit of shape and depth.

The fedora was then done in three segments, painted wet in wet with a black mixture made of orange, violet and indanthrone. I think I'm done. It doesn't look exactly like Julian, but it's a good rendering. I really like the contrast of the looseness and softness of the background with the detail and depth of the face and hat. I will put this aside to give a thought to doing a bit more to the sweatshirt where it is close to the face.

Thank you so much for dropping by! 

7 comments:

  1. Oh Kathryn fabulous friend. Such patience you practice with the slow build up of glazes. It makes your art extra special. Have a lovely day. Hope you and Bruno are getting some riding in. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathryn, this portrait is amazing! I am so impressed with the contour of his face.
    Beautiful work!
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always applaud the portrait artist ... as the portrait demands so much attention from the artist. The portrait brings together the skill sets of drawing, modeling, knowledge of color, perspective and then you have to add some personality to the image. Only those who love the challeng will thrive with portraits. But don't overthink it ... just continue doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing portrait, Kathryn, your glazes are so beautiful. I love the pose! I had to google 'fedora', did not know the word, and found rows of images of fedoras. very funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. really nice lighting and hint of folds to the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautifully finished Kathryn!! I think it looks so much like Julian! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete