I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Guess I'd Better Get Back to Work ...

I am just going to play a bit of catch-up here, and post some of the recent paintings ...
The golden eagle I did for a friend at work; her husband is a big fan of birds of prey.  I think it was about 16 x 12 inches, and is now happily framed and hanging in their living room.

This is a 10 x 10 inch painting that stared off as a class demonstration. [Yes, still teaching and still really LOVING it] I decided to mount and varnish this and the cow painting below. 

The painting was based on some photos I took of a small herd of Jersey cows I passed on the way to the feed store. Miss Moo is varnished on a 10 x 8 inch cradled frame. 

I painted  The Nafco for a friend, who came to my aid when my car was totalled last year. He is a car dealer [Acura in Langley - I promised him the "ad"], and found a wonderful, almost-new VW for me to replace my Honda. His dad was a fisherman, and worked on the Nafco for years. Gary was thrilled, and said he would treasure it as a family heirloom. What a wonderful thing to say!

I thoroughly enjoyed working on Miss Kylie - what a fantastic smile on her face! I did another portrait earlier this year for the same client, and she liked it so much, she wanted to have one of her husband's very-much-loved dog.

This is another one that started off as a class project. Originally, it was very simple - just the snail and its reflection. Then I decided to play with some backlighting. I quite like the effect.

Just finished the barn swallows this morning [15 x 11 inches unframed]. I masked the birds, then did the background all in one fell swoop. I wet the paper in an irregular manner, and stroked in the two oranges and the blue, and let them mix on their own. I think that achieved the effect I wanted - that of light filtering in past some old boards. I want to do more work along this vein, with a very loose background just suggestive of shapes. In this, I am inspired by Morten Solberg's  wildlife paintings.

And, yes, Bruno and I are still an item, and Maggie is as busy as ever!
Thank you so m
uch for your visit!

12 comments:

  1. Dear Kathryn,
    It has been much too long since I have had the pleasure of viewing your beautiful art.
    I love them all, but I must admit that the lamb is my favorite.. Such softness of his coat, and love the expression in his eyes.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOO HOO! YOU'RE BACK! We all missed you young lady!! Glad your back in with the paints ... all look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just love seeing your work! The eagle is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a wonderful gift to see all these recent paintings - I love the sheep anc cow...and also the birds and snail! You have been busy busy and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all but the LAMB is SO SO beautiful......love the softness of the piece!!!!! Of course your last painting of the birds is fantastic!!!! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so amazing to be able to make those paintings come to life.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you back, Kathryn! Your animals are all fabulous, I cannot choose which one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. is the dog an ACD? either way its really nicely done and I love the bird. The feathers are wonderful

    and way for a post by you :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. your working really hard katharyn some beautiful work here ... glad your enjoying the teaching so much .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I know why I missed you so much! Your work is just so darn incredible and these paintings were well worth the wait! What an abundant feast for the eyes! So glad you are back, Kathryn, and that you are painting and are loving your teaching. Also so happy to hear you and Bruno are still happily together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are beautiful!!! i especially like the backlit snail :)

    ReplyDelete