I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

ENDANGERED SPECIES - VANCOUVER ISLAND MARMOT



Wet washes on the body with burnt orange and quin. violet. The entire marmot was painted using orange, violet and indanthrone.

Darkening his fur ...


... and still more ... 

I did two gradated washes to the line where sea meets sky, both using phthalo blue and indanthrone.


Lightly painted some distant islands, and started giving a rocky look to his rock. 

My Rock
10.25 x 6.25 inches framable size
AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
I wanted to give the marmot the look that this is his home, and he is not letting go of it.

This adorable beastie is a local - the Vancouver Island marmot, the only uniquely Canadian species of marmot. He lives on the south- and west-facing alpine meadows of the island.  Those long claws and powerful shoulders are for digging for food and making burrows for hibernation. He's hefty - up to 2 1/2 feet long, weighing up to 17 pounds. It is believed the reason for the great decline in numbers [since the mid-1990's] is due to predation by wolves, cougars and golden eagles. There is a captive breeding program on the island, whereby adults are caught and allowed to breed safely, then they and the pups are released back into their natural habitat. It sounds like a logical plan; with their colonies very reduced in numbers, there are no or few potential mates - this program brings them together.
I remember seeing a yellow-bellied marmot in the most unlikely place - the backyard of my mother's house in Kerrisdale in Vancouver. I drove into the back driveway, and there he was, standing on his hind legs looking at me! of course, no-one believed me.

THANK YOU FOR DROPPING BY!!

12 comments:

  1. What a cute little furry guy! Love your painting, Miss Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely little chap Kathryn and you have portrayed him beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable animal, he really looks like he owns the rock! BTW, my son and his girlfriend will be in Vancouver next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! I have a Marmot that lives in the wood behind my house. I named him Claude because of course he is well "clawed." He is very photogenic too and so cute I wish I could pet him. Better not try though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another adorable painting Kathryn! Perfect colors!!! I love the progression in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO cute, painted beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful painting. They are adorable animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! And thanks for educating us about this not-so-little fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kathryn - what an adorable animal. One we do not have in our part of the country. Your painting made me smile...seems like he is a pretty happy fella. Take care and have a great week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Kathryn, I have been away from the computer for some time.. I am trying to catch up. I just adore this little ball of fur! Fantastic work as always.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way!!!! This is too perfect.. Too life like!! too awsome!
    Did you really do this? '
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete