I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Monday, May 1, 2017

Three of the Girls Are Done ...

For Sally, I painted a scrumbly background of aureolin, burnt orange and warm black, letting each color dry before applying the next. I also tried a new technique with her neck fur  - I feathered it in. I drew in a line of black, then used a barely-moist medium-sized flat to spread the color. I think it gave a lovely soft effect. Definitely using this on the next commission [ a Schnauzer by the name of Louis].

Same technique here, trying to go with a background that would draw the viewer's eyes to the cat's eyes. Here I used burnt orange, followed by orange mixed with violet.

Soft scrambling again, with quin. gold mixed with indanthrone - to match her eyes.

Thank you so much for dropping by!

10 comments:

  1. They all have such great personalities already and you've picked perfect colors to go with them :). Are they all separate paintings or one large painting with all the kitties there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We surely did notice the kitties beautiful eyes in all 3 paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the backgrounds!!! (How is your foot?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These are all outstanding Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kathryn... They are just beautiful! Such sweet expressions on each and I absolutely love the backgrounds.. I have always found cats to be very difficult to paint, so I really appreciate your execution on all three. They are so realistic. Bravo!
    blessings
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kathryn each kitty is truly lovely. Beautiful work that certainly captured each personality too. I do love the soft way you captured the furn around the neck. Such a great technique. Hope you are having a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled upon your blog and absolutely love it. WONDERFUL watercolor paintings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so soft and fuzzy looking kitties :) background colours are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete