I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Friday, March 16, 2018

DISAPPEARING LANGLEY: A DUSTING OF SNOW

Drawing

Reference photo for subject

Reference for snow

I mask out areas that have a bit of snow on the surface, then just start in, working mostly wet on dry as the areas to be painted are quite small and not too conducive to wet-in-wet. 

Again, I am using my favourite triad of quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone.


And as usual, I give little thought to a background till the subject is well under way [NOT a great method, but it's me]. I decide to put in a wintery morning sky, and lay in a w/w graded wash of aureolin. I let it dry, then do another graded wash of grey [perm. rose, aureolin and cobalt blue] on the sky. I also wash on a thin application of the grey on the unmasked snow, to make the white on the wagon stand out.

It still looks too empty, so I put in a line of trees over the rise.  To get a more natural look, I use a sponge evenly along the edge of the hill and randomly above. I then quickly drop in a pre-mixed dull green [quin. gold and indanthrone], starting at the bottom and letting it flow upwards into the sponged areas. It still looks rather bleak and miserable, but that's how I feel about winter, and also how I feel about what is happening where I live. Here in south Langley, we are being "invaded" by real estate developers and speculators, and I truly fear for the continuance of this incredibly beautiful rural, agricultural area!

Thank you so much for dropping by!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What a lovely subject! Interesting to see how you arrived at the final painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not your usual subject but this one really cuts it for me. It captures how isolated snow can make a subject. Before the snow the cart was part of the landscape, it becomes an island when the snow settles. I love the way the snow graduates from grey to white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another winner Kathryn. The morning sun coming up is perfect for this wintry day. Wonderful work as you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a precious sight! I hope you have your scenery around for a long time. Maybe the developers will be stalled or get a conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the trees look great! and winter often has that gloomy grey look to it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great winter scene Kathryn - but I think I would enjoy seeing it in a summer lanscape better :)! Hugs

    ReplyDelete