I'm FREE

I'm FREE

Sunday, July 26, 2015

An Elegant Bird ... or ... Step by Step Painting of an Ameraucana Hen

My drawing with scribbled notes made as I go along in painting.

First, a this wash of quin. burnt orange ...

... some permanent rose ...

... and finally some cobalt blue.

I painted the bright head and neck feathers with quin. sienna.  Body shadows were done with a mix of quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone blue. The legs were painted with a mixture of the same orange and blue, but with permanent rose in lieu of violet- it seemed to give a colder, harder-looking black, which I wanted for the feet.

More quin. sienna, wet in wet, over the front of her body, and some fluff around her beak painted in a soft black. I think the beard is one of the characteristics of this breed.

I did more work with the feathers of her body, using quin. burnt orange, quin. violet and indanthrone to make both a soft brown and a black.

More work on the feathers ...

... and I believe she is pretty much done.
I painted almost the entire work in a wet-in-wet technique. I wanted to keep her feathers looking softer and fluffier [and I had no desire to render each individual feather!] 

I was more ambitious [or foolish] with this hen I painted about ten years ago. She was sent off to Washington state to be part of a charity auction for a horse rescue group.

Life has been somewhat rough lately, and I haven't felt like blogging or painting much. Seems to be improving, so I hope to be able to post about once a week.

Thank you so much for dropping by!

12 comments:

  1. I love the step by step painting of this hen Kathryn. I think she's done as well. The hen that you did a few years back is truly beautiful and we all go through the not wanting to paint or blog. All norm! We all have other things to do and sometimes we just don't have the time, Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sorry to hear things have been a bit rough, Kathryn. Try to rest and take care of yourself.

    Loved watching the Hen emerge with your usual magic.

    Take care of yourself now, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you are feeling low... Hopefully you will be feeling perkier soon! Meanwhile your Hens are wonderful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice :) its like she emerges from the fog :)

    hope this week isn't rough and things keep improving :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!! How do you make the feathers look like feathers!!! I know why,,,, cause of your magic paintbrush!!
    She is gorgeous
    I will hold your hand,,, if you will hold my paw,,, and maybe we will feel better together.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  6. The painting has come out wonderfully well. I hope things change soon and you start enjoying your blogging and painting as before :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrolling fast was like magic. The hen appears out of nowhere. It is coming out well. Cheer up. Things will always get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous job rendering those soft, fluffy feathers wet into wet. Things don't always get better, we do: we get stronger and more resilient and make up sayings like " if this doesn't, kill me, It will make me stronger." Best wishes for status quo to return , otherwise known as ho-hum. boredom can be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your step by step painting! Great to see how the hen appears from the washes. I hope life gets better soon, Kathryn, take care! xx Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathryn, I hope things are getting, these paintings beautiful, love and hugs, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope things are better, gorgeous work, love to u,Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathryn:) I too have not had much time to be able to see all the paintings by anyone. That is why I am so late at this post of yours. Fortunately, because I find it very nice to see how you've built up the painting. The end result is awesome! Also the hen on the last photo is wonderful. Love and regards.

    ReplyDelete